CP-1 ME Intervals (5) 5’x5’ Z4
Workout intended for: racers, strong recreational riders and advanced beginners who are physically experienced enough to take on more advanced training workouts.
Total Workout Time: 75 Minutes
This workout will help build muscular endurance, power and strength for sustaining those harder power efforts during races or time trials. You have the choice between sitting up, being in the aero position or in the drops when doing the 5' Z4+ efforts. To mix up the workout you can alternate between the riding positions mentioned above. The main workout has a 1:1 rest ratio so you should be fresh for each of the hard 5' efforts.
Warm-up: Begin with a progressive 15 minute warm-up. You will bring up your HR to Z3 before you begin the main workout.
Z1 for 5’ – Cadence between 80-95
Z2 for 4’ – Cadence between 90-110
Z3 for 4’ – Cadence between 95-115 (higher cadence preferred)
Z2 for 2’ – Cadence between 90-110
Begin main workout or if needed warm-up a bit longer
Main Workout: 50 minutes
Main workout Notes:
1. Find a gear hard enough where you can maintain a heart rate in Z4 for each of the 5 minute intervals. After 5 minutes in Z4, shift to an easier gear (Z2) and bring your heart rate back down. Repeat until you have completed the main workout.
2. Concentrate on staying on top of the gear and try to maintain smooth pedaling.
3. Depending on your biomechanics and / or if you are outside (wind or hills) some of you may do the intervals higher that 100 RPMs while others may be around 80-90 RPMs. At a minimum, the intervals should be maintained above 90 RPM's.
4. The timed interval begins once you shift up to the harder gear (each interval), not when your HR reaches Z4. Downshift to an easier recovery gear once you have completed each interval. Note: your HR will still be elevated during the early portion of your recovery time, this is OK. We are measuring the interval times by the increase in workload, not by the amount of time your HR is in the training zones.
5. If you are unable to complete all 5 intervals, that is OK, this is a hard workout. Complete as many as you can with quality efforts. As your fitness improves in the coming weeks / months you will be able to complete all of the intervals.
Interval #1: 5’ in Z4+ x 5’ recovery in Z2
Interval #2: 5’ in Z4+ x 5’ recovery in Z2
Interval #3: 5’ in Z4+ x 5’ recovery in Z2
Interval #4: 5’ in Z4+ x 5’ recovery in Z2
Interval #5: 5’ in Z4+ x 5’ recovery in Z2
Main workout complete – begin cool-down
Cadence for main workout:
Z4+ efforts = 90-115 rpm (higher the better)
Z2 efforts = 80-105 rpm
Cool-Down: Z1 for 10 minutes
Cadence for cool-down: 80-100